Friday, September 16, 2011

Favorites

People are always asking "what do you like to read" or "who's your favorite author" or "what do you recommend". Well, I'd like to tell you I don't really have a *favorite* anything.  I like certain authors, books, colors, movies, etc. a little bit more than others but, not enough to say it's my favorite.  I do have a list of actual *favorite* books on the right sidebar.

When it comes to books I can't pick just one, ever.  I love so many titles and authors.  Yes, there are a couple that are *go to* authors or titles when I am *craving* a specific genre but that's really it.

So, what's my definition of favorite then? If I can re-use, re-read, etc. without it feeling boring or monotonous then it becomes a favorite.  For example, I have read Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz 12 times and never get bored with it.  Many people just say their favorite is something they like more than others for one reason or another.  For example, they can relate to the main character in a book, or movie, therefore making it more realistic.

Anyways, here is a list of authors, books and ebooks that I have read more than once. Which makes them my *favorites*... kind of... for now.. maybe.. (sigh)

Authors: Dean Koontz, Sarah Dessen, Rachel Vincent

Titles: Odd Thomas, Forever Odd, Soul Screamers Series/My Soul to... (all of them), Reaper, The Hunger Games, Mockingjay, Catching Fire, Dreamland, Someone Like You, The Truth About Forever, Outlander, The Traveler's Gift, Noisy Nora, Knuffle Bunny, Knuffle Bunny Too, Knuffle Bunny Free, Max an Ruby, Don't Let the Pigeon...(all of them), Babar, Golden Books, Curious George

There are so many more, but I can't ever remember them all.  I know I know, that means they aren't my *favorite*.  I dare you to sit down a make a list of all of the places you've traveled to/through. Including the tiny little villages and cities that don't ever show up on maps! aha! see! It's hard isn't it!  I've read so many books that it's hard for me to remember them all! Totally the same thing (eye roll).

Anyways (clears throat) what are your favorites?  See how many you can list (and see how difficult it really is!).

I met a man who kept a typed list of all the novels he has read in his life.  I looked at his stack once, for just one year it was 5 reams of paper. 500 pieces per ream x 5 reams =  2500 pieces of paper with single spaced 10pt font front and back lists of books he's read. (oh. my. gosh.) Let that sink in for a minute.

These are not short novels either, they are the tradition 500ish page long.
He's very good friends with a used book-store owner. He's also the #1 customer there. And people think read too much!

Anyways.. Now that I've posted WAY too much...Happy List Making! And of course, good luck!

No comments: