Monday, July 2, 2012

Comic Book Day!!

Time for something picture centric and over-the-top..

I recently strolled into a local comic book shop that I've never been in before (yes, I like going to them on occasion) and found the most amazing comics ever!!  If you follow me on Facebook, then you've probably heard about this first one... 

Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (limited edition Marvel series)

This adorable, hilarious, stunning comic is about Dorothy, her kitten Eureka, her cousin Zeb, his horse Jim, and Oz on their wild adventures. "When Dorothy Gale, her cousin Zeb, his horse Jim, Dorothy's kitten Eureka and Oz were swallowed into the ground during an earthquake, they found themselves in the magical and strange lands of the world below!" (Shanowder, Young and Beaulieu)  This comic is a perfect spin on the classic Wizard of Oz world and the characters.  I'm absolutely in love with the series and there are only 8 issues!!  I picked up issue 5 today, because that was the only issue they had, BUT you can purchase issues 1-6 and 8 online from Marvel.

FF (First Family!)

FF is a Marvel Universe mashup.  It combines several members that are new, old and even old enemies.  I fell in love with it instantly!  The writing is witty, the images are stunning and it has all the classic elements of a comic book but with new twists.  "A bold new direction for Marvel's First Family featuring new members, old friends, older enemies and uneasy alliances that will send shockwaves through the Marvel Universe.  With stunning art work by Steve Epting and Paul Mounts, please join writer, Jonathan Hickman, on the second massive arc in the bold new direction for the 'World's Greatest Comic Magazine." (Marvel.com)  The series is on issue #19 right now, and is growing in popularity (especially at my local comic book shop, they were almost sold out AND it was a *store favorite*).  I will definitely be keeping up with this series!

Now...if only I knew a good way of displaying my new and beautiful comic books.  Anyone?  Happy Comic Book Day!

No comments: