Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Hive Five!

This week's Hive Five has a mix of books and random fun book-ish things.  So. Many. Amazing. Things!

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen - YA (ages 14+)
One of my favorite books by Sarah Dessen.  I read this multiple times a year and every time, I love it even more.  I also finish it in one night every single time.

Here's the book blurb..
When Annabel, the youngest of three beautiful sisters, has a bitter falling out with her best friend—the popular and exciting Sophie—she suddenly finds herself isolated and friendless. but then she meets Owen—a loner, passionate about music and his weekly radio show, and always determined to tell the truth. And when they develop a friendship, Annabel is not only introduced to new music but is encouraged to listen to her own inner voice. with owen’s help, can Annabel find the courage to speak out about what exactly happened the night her friendship with Sophie came to a screeching halt?

Death Whispers (death series, book 1) by Tamara Rose Blodgett and Stephanie T. Lot - preteen/YA (over the age of 12)
I just recently finished this book.  It took forever to finish (a long book for being the first one in a series!) because it's about 594 pages!  I loved it though, very good read and I think I'll pick up the others in the series as well.   I'd give it 4/5 stars - let me know if you want a full review!

Book blurb..
Almost fifteen-year-old Caleb Hart is a Cadaver-Manipulator in the year 2025.  When teens receive a government-sanctioned pharmaceutical cocktail during school, paranormal abilities begin manifesting... making the teens more powerful than the adults.

After Caleb discovers he has the rare, Affinity for the Dead, he must do whatever it takes to hide it from a super-secret government agency whose goal is exploitation.  Caleb seeks refuge in his new girlfriend, Jade, until he realizes that she needs as much protection from her family, as he does from the government.

Suddenly, Caleb finds that hiding his ability while protecting Jade and his friends is a full time job; can he escape the government, protect Jade and lose the bullies that are making him miserable?

3D Book Words have been a recent love of mine. I can't get enough of them!  If you're a fan of my Facebook page, you may have seen this one as my new banner.
Made by NovelTrees.
They use the pages of a book, a little glue, and sometimes a pair of scissors to make this 3D book art.  It's absolutely incredible!  I wish I could make them and have it turn out that well.  I think mine would look like a bunch of mashed folded scrap paper...heh.

Recently on Facebook, these types of images have been flooding my wall.  I love them!  They are paintaings or drawings made on old dictionary pages.  The way the artist uses the page as a background and part of the actual image is so cool!  I found this one on Etsy the other day and fell in love with it you guys.
Made by TheRekindledPage.
I can't get over how it looks like she's turning the page!  AND did you see the Tardis in there!?  Makes it even better!  "Alice meets the Tardis" is the perfect name for this image.  I think I want this one needs to go in my *future library* too.  Right next to my Tardis book shelf. ;)

My final fav thing lately has been this gem...
Made by BazingaJewellery.
I love it!  Every time I look at it, I think... "What am I doing on my computer!? I should be reading!"  If I had this in real life, I think my poor PC would feel neglected and my book pile would magically shrink.  See more images of it here.

What have been your favorite things lately?  Tweet me using the tag #HiveFive, leave a comment or tell me on Facebook!  Happy Hive Five Day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the Time to Read watch...which reminds me...it's time to read! :)

HilyBee said...

Me too! :D